In 1929 an idea was formed and initiated to gather together a group of legal secretaries in order to learn what was required in the preparation and filing of legal documents. This idea blossomed and spread throughout the state of California, and in 1940, Legal Secretaries, Incorporated (also known as LSI®) was formed as a nonprofit mutual benefit corporation. In the new millennium, LSI® continues to grow by serving legal secretaries as well as law office support staff throughout the state of California with a variety of programs and services:
Continuing legal education seminars
- LSI® Legal Professional's Handbook (published by The Rutter Group)
- Law Office Procedures Manual (published by The Rutter Group)
- The Legal Secretary® quarterly magazine
- Membership in six Legal Specialization Sections
- Certification through the California Certified Legal Secretary program
With approximately 2,500 members and 48 local associations throughout the state of California, LSI® is dedicated to educating legal secretaries and promoting high ethical standards among law office support staff in the legal community. LSI®'s motto "Excellence Through Education" is paramount in the goals and objectives of this association.